Wednesday, June 09, 2004

It is June 9th and I am in mid-air

Arrive Tokyo. 5:45pm (approx.). Unforeseen stop for me. I recall no dreams from sleeptime during LAX (Los Angeles International Airport) to Tokyo leg of this trip. I feel somewhat rested, though I know it would now be bedtime for me in Fort Worth (FW) or Austin (1:30am approx.). I like it here--Tokyo airport. Gentle voices speak directions and reminders via overhead speakers. Thankfully, there are English translations for some of these announcements. I notice a wonderful sense of relaxation & comfort here among the Asians in the airport. I am happy (once more) to be small y brown; I blend in pretty easily. I soon consider what it would be like to live here. I like the idea. At a terminal gift shop, I find an excellent English-Japanese dictionary. I'd like to know the Japanese language, I decide all of a sudden. I giggle softly reading the labels on other gift shop items: "water on lip" for lip balm in the travel supplies section of the concourse kiosk. "feelin' good" was the label for a neck pillow. Hmmm, I wonder what the exchange rate is? Every announcement on the p.a. system is preceded by a "magic wand" tinkerbell melody, so sweet and lilting. I notice no jarring sounds here. But they (airport personnel) took my pair of scissors, during one security check stop, deeming it a "security item." (The scissors were in my backpack, cuz I was planning to use them for sewing my sleepsack out of a bedsheet.) Oh well, I didn't plan on making paper dolls on the plane anyway. I should be able to get them (scissors) back in Bangkok or KTM (Kathmandu). Why will it take 5.5 hours to get to Bangkok from Tokyo? I don't get it. I guess that's okay, cuz I'm on this trip to learn. A few things. Oh hell, I left my beautiful Royal Thai Airline menu in my seatback pocket. It was the most gorgeous menu card I've ever seen, and the actual meals I ordered from it were amazingly scrumptious. Sea bass & noodles last night and spinach cannelloni w/ veggies this morning--er, afternoon. And the drink service was non-stop. Tea? Coffee? Water? Mango juice? Wine? Cocktails? Brandy? It was neverending. I saw 2 movies on the in-flight monitor: a silly, predictable NYC film called "Just the Ticket" and "Shakespeare in Love" (fourth time to see this one). Tammy in transit...

No comments: