Thursday, June 10, 2004

Terminal Bliss

8:37am Bangkok International Airport. In the bathroom stall, doing my thing, I am stunned to hear the faint melody coming over the p.a. system. In between announcements of imminent flight arrivals & missing passengers, I hear a strings-and-piano instrumental version of none other than "Tammy's in Love." No lie. I take this as a very good sign.

I've been awake since 6:15 am (Thai Time), before which time I'd laid myself out in my newly-stitched body bag (er, sleep sack). I had parked myself near the other snoozing adults (I was the lone female among them) on the green carpeted children's playground area. My head was next to the bottom of the hard plastic slide. I slept all right, I guess, for 2 hours or so. But I feel good now. When I awoke, it was only then that I noticed the sign above the children's playground area (posted twice in full view): THIS AREA IS ONLY DESIGNATED AS CHILDREN'S PLAYGROUND. SLEEPING IN THIS AREA IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED. Ah, sweet ignorance, sleepy Tammy.

I leave Bangkok in less than 3 hours.

Interesting note: I found 3 books about or by Aung San Suu Kyi (Burmese Nobel Peace Prize Laureate and one of my favorite heroes) in the transit lounge news shop & bookstore. I am impressed that her wisdom and life story, as recounted in books, is apparently popular reading in Thailand. Maybe I'll get one of these books on my trip back to the States.

No comments: